A Brief Look at the Mazda CX-9
The Evolution of the Mazda CX-9: From Concept Car to Modern SUV
Mazda’s CX-9 has been a flagship model for the car manufacturer since its conception in 2006. This mid-size SUV has undergone a series of changes and facelifts over the years that have transformed it into one of the most elegant and efficient family-friendly SUVs on the market today. Let’s take a closer look at the history and evolution of the Mazda CX-9, from its initial concept to the latest 2021 model.
The First Generation CX-9 (2006-2015)
Mazda announced its plan to enter the mid-size SUV market in early 2006 with the release of the CX-9. The CX-9 came equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 engine, producing 263 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque, and was available in three trims. It was capable of seating seven passengers, which made it perfect for large families.
In 2008, Mazda released the second generation of the CX-9. This new version featured a more powerful 3.7-liter V-6 engine, producing 273 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque, while maintaining the seven-passenger seating arrangement. Additionally, Mazda introduced the Grand Touring trim, which came with a host of luxurious features like leather and heated seats, a moonroof, and keyless entry.
The Second Generation CX-9 (2016-Present)
Mazda unveiled the third generation of the CX-9 at the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show. This redesign introduced the 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G turbocharged engine, producing 227 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, available in front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. The redesign also reduced the weight of the CX-9 by around 200 pounds compared to the previous generation.
Mazda launched its updated version of the CX-9 in 2021 with various updates. The G-Vectoring Control plus feature is a new technology that improves vehicle stability and steering control. The 2021 CX-9 now has a front-wing design that enhances the vehicle’s aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. The CX-9 saw some improvements to the Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection as well.
Variations Within CX-9 Generations
Throughout the years, Mazda has offered various trims and variations to the CX-9 to appeal to different customers. Here are some of the different variations available within CX-9 generations:
First Generation Variations
– Sport (2007-2015) – The Sport trim included features such as 18-inch wheels, cruise control, full power accessories, and a six-speaker sound system.
– Touring (2007-2015) – The Touring trim added leather upholstery, heated power front seats, climate control, and an eight-speaker Bose audio system.
– Grand Touring (2007-2015) – The Grand Touring trim included advanced features like xenon headlights, LED running lights, a sunroof, and a rearview camera system.
Second Generation Variations
– Sport (2016-2021) – The Sport trim featured a rearview camera, Mazda Connect infotainment system, and a seven-inch touchscreen display.
– Touring (2016-2021) – The Touring trim included features like leather-trimmed seating, heated front seats, and a power liftgate.
– Signature (2016-2021) – The Signature trim was introduced in the 2019 model year and featured Nappa leather-trimmed seats, LED grille accent lighting, and genuine Santos Rosewood interior trim.
The Mazda CX-9 has evolved considerably over the years, incorporating new features, technology, and design elements that have kept it competitive with other mid-size SUVs. From its initial release in 2006 to the latest 2021 edition, the CX-9 has maintained its reputation as an elegant, reliable, and powerful family-friendly SUV. With its refined performance, safety features, and luxurious trims, it’s no surprise that the CX-9 continues to be a hit with car buyers around the world.