Iowa Vehicle Titles

How to sign your Iowa Vehicle Title

Be sure to sign and print your name exactly as spelled on the front of your Iowa title. Avoid erasures, scribbles, and strike-throughs. If your Iowa title shows a lien or a bank name printed on the front, then your title will need to be signed off by the lien holder or have a separate lien release letter.

  • Sign the back of your IA title where it reads “Signature of Seller(s).”
  • Print your name(s) on the back of the IA title where it reads “Printed Name of Seller(s).”


Iowa Vehicle Title Replacement Questions?

If you need a duplicate title, you can submit your request in person or through the mail.

  • First fill out the Application for Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Form 411033).
  • The form will need to then be submitted to the county treasurer’s office, where the title of your vehicle was originally issued.
  • In order to obtain a duplicate title there is a $25 fee involved.

If there is a lien on your vehicle, the lienholder can apply for the duplicate. They can also submit a notarized Cancellation of Security Interest (Form 411168) to the county treasurer’s office.

Depending on the county you live in, you may be able to go to your county treasurer’s office.

Go to the Iowa Department of Transportation ( to find a list of their office locations and contact information. You can also contact their customer service hotline at 515-239-1101 for further assistance.

Looking for a different state? Visit Nationwide Instructions For Vehicle Titles

How to Sell Your Car in Iowa